A balcony is a great addition to homes and businesses alike; the wealth of space they provide allows everyone to take in the scenery as they enjoy some downtime. Yet a surface without waterproof balcony flooring, the wrong railings, and unrepaired structural elements can place guests in danger. Let’s take a closer look at how to keep your balcony attractive and safe for everyone to use.
Ensure Railings Are the Right Height
How can you know that your balcony rail is the right height? The California Building Code. Home and business standards differ, but both require minimum railing heights and maximum spacing between posts and balusters, as well as between the balcony floor and bottom rail.
These heights and spacings are in place to prevent falling from the balcony, from going over the railing, or from crawling underneath.
Heed Occupancy Limits
The California Building Code also has requirements for weight, stating that a balcony must be able to withstand a specific amount of pressure at any given location to remain safe. The more people who are on a balcony together, the more weight and pressure that the balcony must withstand at one time.
While this may not be an issue for new and well-built balconies, one that has gone into disrepair poses a far greater risk of safety, which leads us to our next tip.
Monitor Your Balcony Frequently
By regularly monitoring your balcony, you can avoid safety issues. Make regular inspections of the balcony to look for the following signs that could become bigger problems:
- Uneven surface
There are also cosmetic signs of wear such as water stains, discoloration, and dirt that can make your balcony look older than it is. In terms of monitoring, you should also look at the debris that may be collecting on your balcony; not only does clutter look unattractive, but it can cause tripping and falling and also make your balcony more difficult to enjoy.
Make It Safer for All Weather
Weather can definitely affect your balcony’s surface, making it slippery and harder to walk on. This can easily cause occupants to fall and become injured. A great way to prevent falls and slips is to coat your balcony with a non-slip surface. Guests and employees will feel much safer when they know they can walk on the surface confidently, and it will completely restore your balcony’s look.
Waterproofing Systems That Work
If your balcony needs attention due to cracks, erosion, water penetration, or age, there is a solution that will increase its durability, beauty, life, and value: waterproofing from Capital Deck & Stair, a balcony waterproofing contractor. With over 30 years of industry experience, our waterproofing systems are installed by trained experts.
We provide a warranty and an 8-year guarantee on every service we offer. Learn more about how easy it is to make your balcony safer and more beautiful with Capital Deck & Stair; get a free online estimate today.
If your balcony is your happy place, you want to spend as much quality time out there as possible, even when it’s raining. Yet when the rain blows straight onto your balcony, everything gets soaked. Not only that, but rain can seep into your furniture and into the concrete, making repairs from a balcony waterproofing contractor necessary. This guide will reveal how to rainproof your balcony in a few simple ways.
The Right Outdoor Furniture
The first thing to do is take a look at the furniture that’s out on your balcony already. If it’s rusty-looking, faded, or still soggy from the last rainstorm, it’s time to replace it—but with what? Furniture that’s made to stand up to all kinds of weather, and there’s a lot of it out there. It all depends on your taste but, if you’re going with wood or cushions, there are some cautions.
In order to last, wooden outdoor furniture needs to have been treated with waterproofing sealant. As far as cushions go, not all are created equally. If you don’t want to have to bring your cushions in during a rainstorm or to cover your furniture, then simply ensure your cushions are made with quick-dry foam in addition to having a water-resistant cover.
Use Waterproof Decor
If you use your balcony as an outdoor living room, you likely love to decorate and light it up. Over time, your décor and lights will lose their luster to rust unless they’re made for being outside. Of course, you should always choose balcony lights that are waterproof and made for outdoor use only. As for decorative items, resin, glass and stone are all ideal.
Proper Plant Drainage
The plants on your balcony will love the rain, but they can only consume so much before they become waterlogged. When this happens, your plants and your balcony can be at risk. Rain will drip through the bottom of plant pots straight onto—and into—the surface, requiring balcony deck repair.
The best thing to do is change your soil if it’s made for gardens. Garden soil doesn’t work well in plant pots because it’s too dense and, as a result, is more likely to overflow. Denser soil will also make it more difficult for plants to root. Potting soil is looser, is easier for roots to move through, and will allow water to move more easily to the bottom.
You’ll want to make sure there are enough holes in the bottom of pots as well, although this will still mean that water hits your balcony. However, when you choose to seal it, rainwater will bead up on your balcony instead of soaking into it.
Cost-Effective, Guaranteed Waterproofing
When you want to save your balcony or deck from the rain, quality matters. Capital Deck & Stair is a balcony waterproofing contractor offering durable, high-quality solutions that dramatically increase your home value without the high cost. Call today to get a free estimate: (424) 339-0953.
With the New Year rapidly approaching, you may be busy making your New Year resolutions and preparing to make transformations in your life. While your mind is on renewing old things and bringing them up to date, it’s important not to forget your home, and especially your deck.
In sunny California, the warm weather will be here sooner than you think, and it’ll be time for summer barbeques, splashing in the swimming pool, and spending long evenings on your deck. Why don’t you get a head start and schedule waterproofing services with our Los Angeles deck waterproofing professionals?
Waterproofing can help you refresh the look of a tired and worn out deck. It can also help you preserve your deck for many more years of enjoyment. Our waterproofing solutions are low-maintenance, which means less work and more fun for you. In addition to improving the look and safety of your home, a fresh coat of customized waterproofing can dramatically increase the value of your home or rental property.
We offer warrantied waterproofing service for:
- Garage floors
- Pool decks
- Walking decks
- Leisure decks
- Iron-based precast stairs
- Magnesite & fiberglass stairs
- Tread replacements
Your home’s safety, beauty, and upkeep are important to us. We offer a variety of resurfacing and waterproofing surfaces to help you maintain many surfaces around your property. All our waterproofing projects use superior materials to ensure that your deck is not only waterproof, but fire retardant and flexible to preserve your deck.
We offer custom blended colors at no additional cost, so your new waterproofing coat will blend seamlessly with your existing home and yard décor. We also work around your schedule, and we offer weekend and after-hours services to meet your needs. With multiple crews in the Los Angeles and Orange County areas, we can offer quick, reliable service.
Get the advantage of more than 30 years of deck waterproofing experience for your home. Schedule a free estimate today , and one of our qualified waterproofing professionals will come to your home for an inspection.
Your deck is an extension of your home and living space, and like your home, it requires regular cleaning and upkeep to remain safe and comfortable. Composite and natural wood decks may have different requirements, but there are some basics for all decks. Here are some do’s and don’ts of deck care to keep in mind.
- Do give your deck a thorough annual cleaning. Your deck needs annual exfoliation to allow protective sealers to seep deeper into the wood of your deck. Choose a dry, moderately warm day to apply a material-appropriate deck-cleaning solution with a sprayer or roller. This will kill mold and bacteria that can speed the decay of your deck. A scrub brush can help the cleaner get into hard to reach spots and crevices to ensure that your whole deck is cleaned.
- Do cover surrounding plants before cleaning your deck. Cleaners and other chemicals can be hard on plants, so it is important to loosely cover them with plastic sheeting or tarps to prevent them from being sprayed. Avoid covering them too tightly, which might restrict air movement.
- Do sand your deck before applying sealer. After washing your deck, allow 48 hours for it to fully dry. Your next step will be to lightly sand your deck to remove splinters or damage due to pressure washing. A power sander may be too harsh, but 80-grit sandpaper should be enough. After your deck has been sanded, apply a sealer to prevent the wood from cracking, cupping, or warping. Tinted sealers and stains can wear down over time with traffic, but clear sealant will last longer.
- Do clean your deck regularly. In addition to your annual cleaning, you should keep your deck swept free of puddled water, leaves, branches, dirt, and other debris. In snowy areas, a plastic shovel can remove snow without damaging your deck.
- Do watch for damage. If your deck becomes damaged, it can become a significant safety hazard and lead to further damage. Inspect your deck regularly for soft or splintered spots, loose nails, boards, or railings, and split or rotten planks. Promptly repair damaged areas when discovered.
- Don’t rely on a power-washer. While this can be an effective and quick way to clean our deck, it can also cause damage. If you do use a pressure washer, keep the stream moving whenever the trigger is moving. A garden hose with a hard stream setting should provide enough pressure to clean your deck without damaging it.
- Don’t use chlorine bleach on your deck. This can damage the cellular structure of your wooden deck and strip it of color. It also can harm the plants growing around your deck. Oxygen bleach is a safer alternative, but it still isn’t appropriate for redwood decks.
- Don’t use paint to seal your deck. New paint can look polished and clean, but it will distress very rapidly. If your deck was painted and you are looking to use a different sealant, you will need to sand off all the paint before you can refinish your deck. Synthetic sealants can prevent mold and mildew while protecting from sun damage and water damage.
- Don’t assume pressure-treated wood decks are maintenance-free decks. While pressure-treated wood can resist rot and insect damage, it still required sealant and cleaning. Be sure to use products intended for pressure-treated wood when protecting your deck from sun and water damage.
- Don’t use natural material rugs on your deck. It is important to prevent your deck furniture from scratching the surface of your deck, but natural fiber rugs such as jute and bamboo can absorb moisture and encourage mildew. Look for rugs made from recycled plastics for an eco- and deck-friendly solution.
Keep Your Deck In Shape with Los Angeles Deck Waterproofing Services – (310) 912-7737
With more than 30 years of experience, Capital Deck & Stair Waterproofing can help you preserve the beauty and safety of your deck with a wide variety of waterproofing solutions. Let us help you refresh your deck, balcony, or outdoor stairs with our warrantied waterproofing services. Our Los Angeles deck waterproofing crews are available when you are, with weekend and after-hours scheduling available.
Many homes in Southern California, both old and new, have spacious balcony spaces, either attached to master bedrooms or to living rooms. But how many families actually spend time out there? Most people would probably admit that they’re only out on their balconies once a month or for national holidays.
But why aren’t balconies more popular? They should be beautiful spots to have a getaway from the stress of the day but instead people step out and see drab paint and a general lack of atmosphere. A fast way to give your balcony a facelift and some much needed TLC is to resurface its deck.
Resurfacing your balcony allows you to add a spectacular, fresh finish that will really liven up the entire area. Most balcony waterproofing finishes can be applied to any surface, too, so you are free to liven up the area with new tiling, paint, or designs first. Once you have it how you like it, protect it from the weather, cracks, and the sun with a resin or polyurethane coat.
You will be surprised with how easy it is to not only resurface your balcony but also to maintain it. You and your family are sure to appreciate the improvements and see the space in a brand new light. No longer will your balcony be a lonely, empty place – with resurfacing solutions, it can be the focal point of any party or gathering!
At Capital Deck & Stair Waterproofing, we are always excited to take on a new project, big or small, for our clients. If you want to start entertaining guests in style, or if you would like a beautiful, private getaway spot in your home, contact us today and ask about our balcony resurfacing services . You can also get a free quote from our Los Angeles deck waterproofing specialists whenever you are ready.